Monday, July 10, 2017

How You Rate Yourself vs. Those Who Know You Best

My husband and I recently took these quizzes where we rated how we saw ourselves and how we saw each other. While I rated myself in about the middle on self-discipline, my husband had me rated extremely high on the self-discipline scale.

The mentor who was reviewing the test with us said that he found those who have been to college or in the military tend to be self-disciplined but rate themselves low. As someone who was homeschooled for most of my K-12 education (which requires a lot of self-discipline) and as someone who has attended college, I was harder on myself in terms of how disciplined I think I am. But my husband, who has not attended college or been in the military, sees how hard I work and how focused I am and rated me higher.


This gave me a boost of confidence and made me realize that I am extremely hard on myself (as I am typically hard on everyone who I expect a lot out of).

I am not writing this post to brag but rather to give others something to think about. How do you perceive yourself? How do those who are close to you perceive you? What is reality?


It is sometimes said that "seeing is believing" or "perception is reality". In other words, what others see is what they believe to be true. Even though you might be harder on yourself ("you are your own worst critic"), others see the good. Alternatively, what you might rate yourself high in, others rate low. This can be a wake up call sometimes. But either way, it's nice to have that other person's perspective on the situation.

How do you rate yourself compared to those who know you best?

No comments:

Post a Comment