Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Finish What You Started

As I have written about, I started a podcast last year. After putting out 10 episodes, however, I have taken a long sabbatical. I interviewed another guest last December but never edited the audio and put it out. I felt horrible for never publishing her interview because I hate making people feel like they wasted their time. Plus she had a lot of good stuff to share related to my niche topic so I wanted to get it out there.

Since I have started blogging daily and have successfully committed to a daily creative activity for 40+ days, it has made me wonder what other creative endeavors I might be capable of if I would only put my mind to it and make that commitment. I realized that the audio hanging over my head from December was holding me back from moving forward on other projects. I am not sure how many more episodes of my podcast I will put out there, but I did not want to move on to a new project without finishing what I started.

So I spent some time yesterday and the day before editing the interview and getting it scheduled to publish. There was enough audio plus two distinct topics to actually make two episodes out of it, so that's what I did. I got one episode published today and the other one lined up for next week.

Again, I am not sure if I will continue making episodes of Another Mom Podcast or how often I will put them out, but because I no longer have an unfinished project waiting on me, I feel that I can move on to my next endeavor if I would like.

This situation reminds me of a neighbor at our apartment complex. He is an older man in his late 70's who is in extremely poor health. He told us that he is an artist and has some projects in storage that he would love to finish. He does not have the room in his small apartment to set up a studio. Yet he does not know when he will have the opportunity to complete his projects. These unfinished paintings were clearly weighing him down. But now his health was failing him and it seemed that these projects would forever go unfinished.

Now, this is not to say that there are not some projects that are worthy of abandonment. But if you feel like you have something you need to finish, finish it. You'll feel so much better not having that thing looming over your head.

What will you see through to completion?

No comments:

Post a Comment