Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Do We Always Need Disclaimers?

I cannot express how difficult it was to publish my post from yesterday without adding a dozen disclaimers. I wanted desperately to remind people that you can have a happy and successful career working for someone else. I wanted to tell people that you can make it big while working for a corporation. I wanted to make it clear that I have a job and I know jobs are necessary for a lot of people. I wanted to write that you can climb the ladder and become the CEO of a company.

But I didn't add disclaimers. If anyone took my post to mean that everyone should quit their job and bash those who don't, then they misunderstood the point of my post.

I should not have to add a dozen disclaimers to avoid being misunderstood or hurting someone's feelings. Obviously not every word of my post applies to everyone at all seasons in their life. Obviously there are people who are happy and successful having a job.

The point of my post is to shed light on the situation most people are in: only being able to survive 3 days to 3 weeks without their job. That is what I mean by just over broke. If you lost your job, you would soon lose a lot more. And if that's the kind of life you would like to live, so be it. But it's not my ideal.

Again (another disclaimer), I'm not there yet. I still have a long journey ahead of me. But I know where I want to go and what I need to do.

Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment