Thursday, December 14, 2017

Giving birth = empowerment

Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash
I gave birth to my second baby a little over two weeks ago. Like my first, I planned for a homebirth and was able to fulfill my goal due to a complication-free pregnancy, labor, and delivery as well as careful planning and having plenty of support.

Because I have been overweight for the majority of my life, I can sometimes feel pretty low about my body. Plus, I managed to gain right around 50lb with each pregnancy (when a "healthy" recommended pregnancy weight gain for a woman my size would have been less than 20lb). Sometimes I hate the way my body looks. But right now, in the wake of giving birth at home, I feel like my body is pretty badass.

I will admit that birth is an experience that can make you feel like you are on the edge of death. I never felt like I was going to actually die, but during both labors I remember coming to a point of thinking/saying "I can't do this much longer". I remember asking for help. I remember relying on the support of my doula, my husband, my mother, my sister, and my dad. I will be forever grateful for the strength and comfort that they gave me. If I had been completely alone, I think I would have survived. But with the extra hands of support and love, I am able to look back at my experiences with even more fondness.

Giving birth is an experience that a woman remembers for a lifetime. She may not remember all the details and specifics, but she will remember how she felt. How a woman is treated, comforted, supported, and spoken to during her labor and delivery will leave a lasting impact.

I hope all women feel empowered after giving birth, no matter how or where they do it. It is an amazing feat!

No comments:

Post a Comment