Wednesday, May 31, 2017

I was a really good mom... then I had a kid

I was an excellent mother. A superb mother.


And then I had my baby.

Note: picture is not of me and my daughter.
Just a stock photo.

I was going to stay home with my baby and play with him or her all day long. We would go on walks, play at the park, do crafts, eat only the healthiest of snacks, read books, and listen to classical music.

I was going to keep a tidy home and be the most perfect domestic goddess.

I was going to have the best behaved children. My child would never throw a temper tantrum in the middle of Dillard's during the Memorial Day sale.

And my child(ren) most certainly, under no circumstances, would ever have the freedom to play with my cell phone.


Ha.


Turns out, life isn't always what you dream about. As of right now, I'm not a fulltime stay-at-home-mom and domestic goddess. My apartment is usually not only cluttered with toys but the dishes can pile up and the laundry gets neglected. My child does throw herself on the floor at the store sometimes. And my child most certainly holds my cell phone and turns on the lock screen (she hasn't figured out how to unlock it and play with it... yet).


But as it also turns out, being a parent is pretty awesome so far. I'm only 16 months into this gig, but the joy I get out of being someone's mama is astounding. I do not spend as much time playing with my little girl as I would like, but seeing how excited she is when I get home from work is always the highlight of my day. Playing with her in the evening, taking her to the park on the weekends, and doing the best I can to feed her those healthy snacks I imagined I would are some of the best parts of my life. Changing that little diaper butt, getting hugs, cuddles, and kisses, and tickling those little thighs are moments I cherish. Hearing her laugh is the most glorious noise in the world. And even when she pouts or cries, I still think she's adorable.


I was an excellent mother before I had my baby. Now, I'm not so worried about being an excellent mom. I just want to be there for my daughter, do the best I can, and not stress too much about the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment