Monday, May 22, 2017

Daily Blogging: the key to creative genius?

As regular readers will know, I participated in the Praxis program and graduated from the program almost two years ago now. I cannot believe it has been that long and the amount of things that have happened in my life during the program and the two years that have followed is truly astounding.

I am still connected with the program through a social media website just for alumni, current participants, and Praxis leaders. I love getting inspired daily by what alumni and current participants are up to.

The two founding leaders, Isaac Morehouse and TK Coleman, are avid bloggers. I remember them encouraging us to blog throughout our Praxis experience which I did every week or so. You can look back on this blog and read those posts if you'd like. Now, part of the program for participants is a writing module which includes 30 consecutive days of blogging.

Of all the art forms, writing is one thing that everyone who knows a language can do. You may not know how to paint or draw or play a musical instrument, but you can write. Even if you're no good at it, you can do it. And you can do it every single day. And you can share that work with the world around you, for free, through a blog.

Isaac and TK recently put out a video on the Praxis network site talking about how blogging every day for 1 year+ changed their lives in positive ways. They have been preaching this to me and the other Praxians for three years, but for some reason it finally clicked in my head this week as to why it works.

Other than brushing your teeth daily or eating a meal, there are few things you will do every day for a year or longer, especially something which requires at least some level of creativity. Isaac and TK admit that not every blog post is top quality, but you come to terms with that because you are in this for a long-haul. You are in it for the commitment. You are in it to become more creative, a deeper thinker, and someone who does not just consume information but produces content as well.

I can make up a lot of excuses as to why I might not be able to blog every single day. To be honest, I have not decided whether or not I want to even try it for fear of failure or fear that I am too much of a perfectionists and the challenge will drive me mad. But, it has been over a year since last blogging on this site -- why did I wait so long to pick up the electronic pen and write something? (I did start a new website/podcast last fall and put out 10 episodes (you can check that out by clicking here). But again, that project is not a daily creative endeavor.)

I imagine that just like with any challenge, you have highs and lows. There are days you feel the momentum -- the previous days and weeks of posts are cheering you on to keep going. And some days you wonder how you can get away with a three word post and still count it as a day of blogging. But according to Isaac and TK, sticking it out is worth the effort.


How do you express some sort of creativity every single day?
If you don't, what holds you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment