Sunday, May 28, 2017

Anne with an E (Netflix Series review)

As a child, my family avoided cable television. Other than PBS, our video entertainment consisted of classic musicals, Veggie Tails, some of the Disney animated films, and movies based on books. One of our favorites was the "Anne of Green Gables" series. Each of the three movies had two VHS tapes because they were so lengthy. We wore all three of them out but my favorite was always the first one which explored Anne's early childhood and her adoption by Marilla and Matthew (two siblings who never wed).

Today when my baby went down for a nap, I popped open my computer and was browsing Netflix for a new movie or show. I happened to notice "Anne with an E", a Netflix original series. I got excited and then read the description to confirm my belief. Netflix was remaking the classic "Anne of Green Gables" story! I had to check it out.

As I watched the first episode, I could hardly contain my joy. There was more than one moment in the 90 minute show where my hand went over my heart and I exclaimed "Ohhh!". Maybe it's because I'm a mom now or perhaps because of the memories the show was bringing back for me, but there was even a moment where I shed a tear. Netflix did such a beautiful job with the scenery, depicting Green Gables just as I would imagine it. The little girl who plays Anne Shirley (Amybeth McNulty) fit the description of Anne wonderfully. Overall, I enjoyed the longer, drawn out version of the story. There are seven episodes in the first season and I am not sure where the story will end. But if the entire first season is based off of just the first book of Lucy Maud Montgomery's series, there are many more fun stories and heart-warming details to come.

Some viewers, especially those not familiar with the original book or movie series, may see the Netflix version as too slow-paced for them and I can understand why. But for me, each little line and detail brought back all the memories of enjoying this story in my childhood. There are beautiful themes of love, acceptance, belonging, and community in this story. I look forward to reliving more of this beautiful story.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mary, I'm going to start watching it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete