Thursday, December 18, 2014

Just begin

It's hard to start stuff. I mean, really. Who wants to actually "get the ball rolling" or "start the engine"? It's hard to get up out of the comfort zone and actually do something that might improve our lives or the lives of others.

The temptation to become a "fixin' to" type of person is strong and I fall into that trap often. I get lazy and distracted or I make excuses.

Truth is, I do get a lot of stuff done. I'm proud of my productivity level. But, am I doing what I love? Am I improving my life and lives of others?

I feel like I waste just as much time as I spend being productive. Lots of projects I claim that I want to do I never get around to simply because starting is difficult. Truth is, if I really wanted to do them and if they were truly important to me, I would do it.

According to Zig Ziglar, lots of people who fail to begin get "cooked in the squat" and fail to rise. They fail to reach their full potential.


A few of my favorite quotes from this clip: 
  • "Do it now."
  • "You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great". 
  • "The 'half-a-minders' and the 'gonna-doers' are the 'never-doers'".

Another quote, this one from Williams Wordsworth, might be helpful to anyone who feels like they are stuck in the squatting position:"To begin, begin."

We don't have to get it right the first time. Don't put the pressure of perfection on yourself. Just get going and figure it out as you go along. Doing something is usually better than not doing anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment