Friday, March 6, 2015

Life is Fragile, Life is Fast

Two posts about life back to back. It's just that kind of week.

Yesterday afternoon, I received the shocking news that a member of the Praxis family passed away. He was only 25 years old. I only met him in person once, and I am truly thankful for that. We also chatted via Facebook a time or two and my older sister met him when they attended the same college a few years ago. From the little time I got to know this young man, I could tell he was a busy, committed, focused, fun, ambitious guy. Now that he has passed, I am seeing just how much he was loved and how involved he was in other people's lives. I don't think he wasted a single moment.

In addition, a friend of mine (in her late 50's) was taken via helicopter to the hospital last week where she spent seven days in ICU. It is predicted she will be in the hospital for another month. Although she was finally able to walk today, we did not know what her fate would be last week. She's lucky to be alive and on the mend.

Also on my heart this month has been a special family I have known for much of my life. They are about to remember the one year anniversary of the death of their seven month old baby girl. She passed last March.

My heart goes out to all of these families and I am humbled to remember that it could have been me -- it could have been my family. Life is fragile and life is fast. One day we're here, another we're gone. As trite as this saying may be, it is weeks like this one where I remember that the only uncertainty in life is that life is uncertain. Each day truly is a gift. Tragedy and even death can affect any of us at any moment -- no one is immune.

So today, I'm first going to be thankful to be alive and breathing, and then I'm going to try not to waste this gift.

Sorry for a short, choppy post. I just felt the need to share and perhaps help others remember to live each day to the fullest. As one friend put it last week, you can be driving along just fine and suddenly your tire blows out. Life can change that fast. So be thankful and take advantage of each day.


No comments:

Post a Comment