Monday, April 23, 2018

Poem: Rise Above


Spending the night becomes so tempting;
The act itself so sinful yet satisfying.
In the moment I just have to do it
But later I feel empty inside.

Then I fall into the dance again
Even though I said I'd stop.
Things get out of hand once more...
Control an illusion, a tale like Aesop.

What started out as an experiment,
Something that should have been fun,
Takes a more serious turn
When I find out new life has begun.

I knew I was being foolish
But I couldn't stay from the flame.
Playing with fire excites me
Until the embers turn to pain.

Now is the moment of truth:
Will I sink or will I swim?
Everyone makes mistakes in this life,
It's rising to the occasion that makes us win.

Yes, that scarlet letter
Was once my greatest shame
But then I looked into her eyes
And was forever changed.

For the Lord, her true Creator,
Knit her together in my womb.
And that new life erupts, comes forth,
Like our Messiah from the tomb.

The Lord reminds me through this child
That no sin is too great or grand.
He can forgive us for each one
If we'll only take His hand.



Photo credit: Dakota Corbin

No comments:

Post a Comment