Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Calm Before the Storm

I'm hosting an event this weekend. It's definitely the biggest event I have ever attempted to put on and there is a bit of pressure to make it awesome seeing as people are giving a donation to be a part of it.

I've done lots of prep and worked hard to ensure that I have everything I need so that I'm not scrambling last minute. Although I have a few places to run this Friday in order to be ready Saturday morning, I'm feeling ridiculously calm about this whole thing.

It makes me think... "Am I prepared, or am I just forgetting everything?"

My event is mostly outside which is not the smartest choice for April -- April showers bring May flowers, right? Thunderstorms are on the radar for Saturday afternoon. So yes, there is a literal storm coming. But my event will be over before lunch so I am hoping/praying/wishing that we're going to be a-okay.

Planning, hosting, and coordinating an event of larger magnitude has been quite an experience. To make it more interesting, I have had to ask people for money. Donations. This wouldn't be much of a problem if I was representing the Wounded Warrior Project or the SPCA. Instead, I am asking for funds for a local non-profit with not nearly the name recognition of most other non-profits. And this is our first time putting on this event so there are no photos or stats from previous years. Turns out, people don't want to hand a check (even a small one) to people they don't know they can trust. Shocker (ha). And the people who did hand me a check? Now I have a responsibility to perform for them and make it worth their donation. Eek. That's scary.

It's been a challenge and the challenge isn't over. But, I know once this event is done, it will be worth it. So many of the participants have reached out and told me how excited they are about the event and I'm certainly doing the best I can to make it fun. It's going to be a party of sorts to celebrate the San Antonio Birth Collective and just moms and their kids in general. I'll have to blog about the results next week. I'm hoping that if there is a storm, it's a beautiful one. And after the storm comes the rainbow, right? At least, that's what I'm counting on ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment