Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Lessons from the Shores of Seabrook Island

So about two weeks ago, I began a new and exciting journey with Praxis.

Fall 2014 Class
Remember that interview I did back in January? Well, I am excited to say that I am one of eight Praxis participants for the Fall 2014 class. I heard that as many as 200 young people applied for this class. I feel honored to be accepted into this group. 

For the next ten months, I am partnering with Tranquil Seasons in San Antonio, TX as my business partner. In addition, I'll be working through the Praxis online curriculum which covers topics such as Philosophy, Economics, Technology, and Entrepreneurship. 

To kick it all off, though, I attended a seminar on Seabrook Island in South Carolina conducted just for this Praxis class. Being on the serene shores and enjoying the company of brilliant minds was a memorable experience. 

Here are just a few of the bits of wisdom and knowledge that I learned from the speakers at the conference:

  • Don't complain about the status quo; reform it
  • Force yourself to create and you will become a creator
  • Don't waste anyone's time (including your own)
  • Don't take it personally... unless it gives you motivation to work harder
  • People invest in the jock, not the horse. Make your personal brand one people will trust and want to invest in.
  • We are limited by our own minds. Do something hard so that you know what you're actually capable of.
  • Don't get weighed down by a bunch of material stuff; take risks while you have so little because if you "lose", you're not losing much. 
  • Find people smarter than you and hang around them.
  • Find your sweet spot and operate in it.
  • It's okay if you don't have all of the answers.
  • Every job matters. Don't ruin your reputation because of your attitude in the workplace. 
  • Don't forget to love what you do.

I can't wait to see what the next 10 months brings. I hope that I not only consume more valuable information, but that I create and produce from all that I learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment